Spicy Southern Sausage Sandwich – This is one of my favorite go-to, quick and easy meals. I mean the sausage with its fatty juices and the caramelized onions and peppers! I just love them.
There are so many different sausages that you can use for this recipe. Depending on your spice preference, you can go with a hot and spicy sausage or if you’re not in the mood, a nice mild kielbasa might be for you.
1 Lb Package Spicy Smoked Sausage ( If you don't like spicy, try using kielbasa or mild Italian sausage)
1 Large Yellow Onion
2 Green Bell Peppers (Have Fun! Try Different Color Peppers - Yellow Will Add Sweetness)
1 Small Pack Brat Buns (Or any other buns that look good!)
1 tbsp Canola Oil or Vegetable Oil
1 tsp Salt
1 tbsp Mayonaise (Optional)
1 Spray of Olive Oil (Optional)
- Start by cutting up the onions and peppers. I found that cutting the bell peppers thin will help them cook faster. I also like to cut the bell pepper strips in half for bite-size pieces.
- I like to use a cast-iron pan. Cast iron cooks quickly and the more you cook with it the better the food will taste, due to seasoning. If you do not have a cast-iron pan, any pan will do.
- Let your pan come to temperature at medium-high, then add the canola oil
- Toss in the sausage, peppers, and onion and cook until the onions are semi-translucent and the bell peppers are soft. Use tongs or a fork to turn the sausage links so they brown evenly on all sides. (10 minutes)
- While the sausage and peppers are cooking, cut one of the bread rolls in half, lengthwise. We use an olive oil spritzer to put a fine coat of oil on the bread to help with browning. Place the bread, cut side up, under the broiler.
- That's it! put a thin layer of mayo on the toasted bun(if you prefer) add sausage and the pepper/onion mixture and your all set.